Thursday, December 24, 2009

Swim with Cebu's Gentle Giants



After Manila, Cebu is my next city of choice. It has all the convenience a city girl like me prefers – shopping – and they have quality local products, good dining choices - and quite cheap too, accessibility and convenience in going around, abundance of tropical fruits, and this is the only place whose lechon I could eat, huge modern malls, beaches and the blue green sea surrounds the entire province, and perfect summer weather all year round. What more can one ask for?

Just recently when I went to the local tourism office in Manila, and was asking “what’s new”, they said we have whale sharks in Cebu.

Having been to Cebu countless times and had even lived there for almost a year, I realized that the sunny weather is conducive to have whale sharks all year round, unlike Donsol, where whale shark watching is quite seasonal. The question is where exactly and if the encounter is worth going there for.

I asked if they had photos and they showed me the video they took. I couldn’t believe my eyes that the juvenile whale shark was that “maamo” following their boat. I’d want to have that too!

So immediately, I called friends, checked out tickets to Cebu, and a couple of weeks later, we were off to Cebu.

We left early and had breakfast on the road. Oslob was some 3-4 hours ride from the city, and having a private transportation, it was really a lot convenient getting off at the right place where the short orientation/briefing is commenced.

Then off we go in our local paddle boat. There were already some visitor boats in the area watching the whale sharks.  When we joined them, it was only minutes when we saw one passing by. We could hardly contain our excitement, and we plunged into the water!

You can either do it yourself or check this site for Cebu tour package -
http://shore2shore.multiply.com/products/listing/10007/Cebu-Tour-Packages-with-airfare